Sunday, October 19, 2008

Unhappy? Then create your own reality.

My trip back to Sg felt a little different this time. What can you say when your friends start saying:

"If I sold my shares today, I'll lose 40% of the money I invested."
"I'm not buying any more gadgets.'
"I don't know how long my job will last."
"I can survive until next month. After that I just don't know..."
"I am stuck."

Seems that happiness and money go hand in hand and few people are more aware of it than Singaporeans.

Malaysia's not that far off either. Okay, maybe its more dire because of other "extra" issues that I won't get into. And everybody knows America's not in the best of shapes too.

You know how people say that for whatever pickle we're in, we're responsible for it in some way? I think there's a lot of truth in it. I've always believed that the decisions we make are like the white ball on a billiards table. Strike it and it knocks around some red balls. These balls in turn knock around other balls and so on. Sometimes one nudge is all it takes to change the entire picture.

And that's what decisions do. A decision to go out for a stroll could result in bumping into a friend and subsequently a decision to buy shares or take up a job that will take us in directions we never dreamed of. It would be easy to say that like the red balls, we're hapless passengers caught up in a train wreck but that's where the billiard ball analogy ends. The difference is that billiard balls can't generally think and decide how to respond to an incoming ball. We can.

There are people who (still) believe the world is flat. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and we too have our own preferences that make us unique. Its another way of saying our reality is shaped by what we choose to believe in. Implication: it is very important to choose what to believe in.

If we decide to believe we can't be happy unless we're swimming in a pool filled with hundred-dollar bills, then we will have to deal with the good and bad consequences of that belief. If we choose to believe in the opposite, we also have to face the consequences of that belief.

So back to my dear friends in Singapore. What's done cannot be undone. You cannot un-invest in a bad investment or un-apply for your job. There's only one path left - ahead. If you're unhappy with this reality, you can always create a new reality by letting go of things that aren't working and choosing a path that leads to a different reality. Even at the cost of losing doting friends and a branded lifestyle. And that's your biggest challenge - letting go. And learning the Newtonian art of understanding how action-reaction works so you can spot a train wreck before it happens.

You can see that while I'm acutely conscious of the financial and social mess in the region, it doesn't bother me much. That's because a different mental formula keeps my eye on a different ball. A disaster in your reality is a nice sunny day in mine and maybe vice versa. I'm still learning but my hunch has always been this: happiness is having few needs.

7 comments:

Anonymous October 20, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

Aih, I also bit demotivated. Worked hard, spent a lot of hours to write reviews to earn some extra cash. But account got closed because they suspected me of fraud. I was hoping the money earned can help me recover some cash to go into the stock market. =_= Just bad luck I guess. Now I need to find other methods of earning more.

Damien Tan October 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM  

Sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't lose too much there. On the positive side you're gained some experience so you know what to avoid with the next paid review service you enroll in.

rainbow angeles October 21, 2008 at 12:56 AM  

so damien, what are the few needs that make u happy? :-)

one of mine, to be able to see my lil' niece...

Hwei Cheng October 21, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

Firstly, thank you for posting this very post. I cannot doubt it is indeed a very inspiring post to help one in self reflection.

I totally agree with what you have in mind. We choose what to believe in, and that will lead to a whole new reality, which will drain away unhappiness.

But sometimes, words are easier to say than to really execute what has been said. I think it requires a certain level of emotional intelligence to "choose what to believe and create our reality."

As for me... hehe. I do feel vulnerable at times and it is hard to create the reality I want in split seconds. But I know, that is definitely possible.

I love what you have posted here.

=D

Damien Tan October 21, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

@angeles
What makes me happy... If I had a wish it would be to have a spaceship that I can take and explore the galaxy. Hehe. Seriously, it would be a journey to arrive a state where I have no problems any more. And its not money I'm talking about.

@hweicheng
Thanks for reading my post.

"I think it requires a certain level of emotional intelligence to "choose what to believe and create our reality.""

True. What I do is instead of forcing myself, I persuade myself by trying to understand the mechanism of cause and effect. How it leads me to use math and theoretical physics to dissect it is my own quirkiness 'cause u can do the same with your own way of analysis. The outcome is the same - the understanding of a natural phenomenon. That fire will burn and you don't wanna stick your finger into a lighted candle.

If you are referring to self-control, then yes that might take time and a few hard knocks to sink in but its normal. Sometimes its the only way we learn.

rainbow angeles October 21, 2008 at 12:09 PM  

i'm just curious, but then not to a point of being 'busybody' (sorry if i am!), what is / are your prob(s)? if it's not $$$, dare i say it's either family (but i dun think so) or..... ahem... relationship / ladies? *evil grin*

Damien Tan October 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM  

Hi Angeles, if I don't have problems then I'm probably not human. Of course there are problems. All I can say is, relationships isn't one of them. ^_^

I'm training myself so I won't let problems become a problem if you know what I mean.

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP