Saturday, May 23, 2009

Spiritual people are weird

A friend of mine once said she finds it hard to reconcile between Damien the guy who has an opinion on spiritual matters (*woooooo... makes the sound of a ghost*) and the 20-something year old entreprenuer wannabe who loves a prank or two.

Damn, she must still remember that last trick I pulled on her back in college which I won't get into to save someone some embarrassment. :)

Actually I think my dad has been trying to figure out the same thing too. Is Damien the serious spiritual seeker, the semi-serious business hack, or the completely unserious and insensitive brat he's had a few man-to-man talks with.

And I have brought this up a few times: dude, why can't I be all three?

Everyone assumes that someone who enjoys a good time is incapable of being spiritual and vice versa. We'll, I'm not too sure about that. Then again, I've always been somewhat of a non-conformist, to put it mildly. Not only do I not conform to elder people's expectations. I also don't conform to younger people's expectations. ^_^

This what I'm talking about, in case you're wondering.

Age 1 - 11: Everything's a game. People who don't want to play are lame.
Age 12 - 18: We rebel against everything grownups root for. And everything's a joke. We run our dad's car into a tree and then say geez dad, can't you take a joke?
Age 19 - 25: We crave to be part of the "in" crowd. We scream lifestyle and attention. We feel suicidal if we're told we don't fit in.
Age 26 - 35: Shit, life is tough. Better get serious. But those bright lights... they're still calling us.
Age 36 - 50: Bills, bills, bills. Don't come to me for an allowance. And turn down that damn noise will ya.
Age 51 - beyond: Gimmme some peace and quiet, dammit! I'm trying to pray / meditate here.

So... which camp are you in?

I'm "supposed" to sit squarely in the Age 19-25 camp so I can understand why the raised eyebrows when I slide up and down their preprogrammed scale. The 20-somethings think I'm weird for being able to slide way up to the Age 51 and beyond scale.

You see, 20-somethings are NOT supposed to have a spiritual opinion because that makes you a shit-eating tree-hugging weirdo. Definitely not one of us, they say.

And older people? They think I'm weird too. You talk like a grown up, they say, but why do you look like a teenager?

Not that I care.

Its fun to confuse everyone. And because I'm just a little better at keeping my cool, I'd like to think I'm more objective when it comes to making a tough choice. You need plenty of that in the 19-30 range as you know.

But here's a well-hated fact. People grow up at different rates. I've seen enough older people who dress up like teenagers and young kids who dress like grown ups. And in trying to conform to some imaginary scale, spiritual people try to put on the mask of a hip and happening person and vice versa. Creepy.

Why all these masks? If everyone spends all that energy to be who they can be, instead of trying to be who they're not, wouldn't we have a happier and more genuine bunch of people around us?

Ok. Back to the real world and my choco-top ice cream cone...

10 comments:

Xendis May 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

LOL! That's really funny. You know, I was thinking the same things too. Well, just tell them, I pray/meditate at times and whenever I want. eat when I want and I'll play whenever I feel like it. If you can do that, so can I. There are many sides to a person like academia. You learn Languages, Sciences, Math, Economic... etc etc. I realise that first impressions are important. They'll usually follow it by first impressions. If you show a spiritual side, they'll assume you're only spiritual until you bring out something else that'll shake them. LOL

But that's the fun part Damien. :D

Sniggles
Xen

gapnap May 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

for some reason..i hate commenting on blogger ..

wordpress is so much easier ..anyway ..you know ..people like you will score older women better than college chicks ;)

you will not get the virgins ..hehe :P

eagle May 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

Maybe this is what we called versatility. A person I knew of can talk about sex, nudity, finance and spirituality. The wholesome. All in one package er. ^-^

Damien Tan May 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

@Xen,

Yeah, you shoulda seen my friends' faces when I performed in a lion dance troupe in Los Angeles one summer. Once people lodge you into one category, it can be very difficult for them to lodge you into another.

@gapnap,

Haha, you're the 3rd person to tell me that. ^_^ I can't even imagine it, hehe.

@eagle,

I have a feeling most people have opinions about everything. Its only whether they want to express them or not.

gapnap May 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

you better get your billion quickly ...older women are harder to maintain..

but you can take turns on the bed . college chick will just lay there . so , what you pay is what you get

Xendis May 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

LOL!!! Damien, i hope you like older women XD heeheheheee

:O you do lion dance too? oh yeah, it usually comes in a whole package. Wu shu with the dance. Great for Chinese New Year. Extra cash. LOL

Damien Tan May 31, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

@gapnap,

Dude, you should set up a relationship blog for seriously lost guys like me, hehe. I have a question tho. Which do you reckon is a bigger chick magnet - money or a smokin' Ibanez on stage? ^_^

@Xen,

I already have an older woman in my life, and that's my mom, hehe. The lion dance? That's one of the things you can do to learn about balance, like on a pole... plus I was a teen having a lark then. ^_^

gapnap May 31, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

hey i am not good in relationship..lol..

that question is like comparing apple and orange ..
i think both of it do attract chicks , but different ones ..

money tends to attract money-minded materialistic girls ..its QUANTITY..

I think as for a musician , its quality over quantity . A musician will get less chicks than a Billionaire , that is for sure . but that chick sees something more about him , not money not nice clothes not nice cars ..i am sure you get what i am trying to say ..

anyway , i do not think you are lost lah ..you are filled by charisma and passion .that is why i read your blog too . many chicks dig that kinda shit man ..

Damien Tan June 1, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Successful musicians tend to be celebrities and as far as celeb relationships go, it looks pretty scary. A fight here, a separation there every other day. Or could it be that separations among millionaire spouses don't get the same airtime...

gapnap June 1, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

yeah that is true ..but in Malaysia how successful can you be lah ? LOL ..

Celebrity musicians are slightlyyyy different ..they play for money , music is a business to them . not a passion ..but this is me stereotyping lah , i am sure there are successful musicians who do it because they love it .


anyway , not bad huh , write a post some boy-girl relationship the whole blog gets heated up and everybody starts commenting :P
sex sells .

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP